How do you ensure school safety?
- Learn the school’s emergency procedures.
- Know travel routes to and from the school.
- Know and follow school security and safety measures.
- Talk with your child about safety.
- Inform school staff about health and emotional concerns.
- Get involved.
What are some examples of school safety?
- Regularly update school safety plans.
- Make staff, students and parents aware of all safety policies.
- Provide teacher safety training.
- Organize a school safety team.
- Create a complete emergency response plan.
Why is safety important in schools? School safety plays a crucial role in youth’s development and academic success. Students who feel safe at school tend to have better emotional health and are less likely to engage in risky behaviors. That sense of safety contributes to an overall feeling of connection.
What are the 4 safe school elements? School crisis and emergency preparedness training should encompass prevention/mitigation, early intervention (which is part of ongoing school safety), immediate response/intervention, and long-term recovery. These four phases are clearly articulated by the Departments of Education and Homeland Security.