What are 4 things necessary to keep a child safe?
- give permission to say “No” and tell.
- help children identify trusted adults.
- set body boundaries.
- teach children to check with others first.
- teach children telephone skills.
How do we promote child safety?
- Use relevant terms.
- Help children recognize warning signs of suspicious behavior.
- Speak in a more specific sense.
- Teach a child to gain permission prior to approaching an adult they don’t know.
- Let a child know that you would NEVER get someone to pick them up that they do not know.
What are the safety needs of a child? Security. Kids must feel safe and sound, with their basic survival needs met: shelter, food, clothing, medical care and protection from harm.
What is a safety plan for a child? A safety plan is a strategy that involves identifying the steps the child/ youth can take to increase safety. A safety plan helps to prepare for the possibility of further violence and provides guidelines to follow if their safety is at risk.